POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The fruits of my labour : Re: The fruits of my labour Server Time
6 Sep 2024 23:21:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The fruits of my labour
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 22 Sep 2008 02:43:36
Message: <48d73e98$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> Weirdly enough, my Windows doesn't recognise the .ogg extension, but if
> I rename it to .mp3, it plays. Clearly I have a codec set up that didn't
> put the right extensions on or something. Good to know.

Oh...kay then, that's pretty random!

>> Hey, c'mon - 2:30 of continuous playing with hardly any wrong notes,
>> missed notes or even pauses.
>
> If that was 12 takes, I'm quite impressed.

This was roughly the 12th take or so, yes. (I deleted all of the
previous ones.)

It's strange - I can sit down and play the music endlessly for 2 days
straight, but as soon as I hit the record button, I start making
mistakes all over the place. :-S Most irritating!

>> As an aside, the top line alone has 32 notes per bar. Surely no human
>> being can actually *read* that fast.
>
> It's kind of like reading out loud, or typing what you're
> reading without looking - once you've done it enough, it goes right from
> eyes to fingers without conscious interpretation.

Heh. When I was at school, one night I was in the chappel playing Bach's
Toccata & Fugue in D minor. Some twat decided to run past and turn off
the lights. Everybody was astonished when I continued playing without so
much as missing a beat.

However... this only works if one note is near another. My hands "know"
how wide the keys are. But if I need to move my whole hand to a
different part of the keyboard, I still need to be able to see where I'm
going. If that makes sense...

> But for someone who doesn't practice at least 3 hours a day for several
> years, it's pretty impressive what you've got there with that little bit
> of work.

Thanks! I spent literally *days* decoding the score and rehersing the
playing. ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/